My daughter, Ana, and I pop into the airport on the way home after a long day on the road. I hear someone calling me from 50 yards away, “Bill, bring that young lady over here!” I know what that means, but Ana has no clue. There are a select few pilots that I would spontaneously trust with this most special young lady. Geoff Nye, a masterful 11,000+ hour pilot and a true gentleman, is a no brainer for this protective daddy.
In a magical moment Geoff & Ana departed the bonds of earth and joined the freedom of the feathered. As I imagined myself at her age, experiencing a low level doors-off flight over autumn’s rolling hills, my heart swelled with such a depth of joy & happiness that my eyes could no longer contain themselves. (that’s man-talk for, “I cried”) 10-minutes prior, Ana and I were weary travelers. Now we both find ourselves beyond exhilarated!
I learned a few unexpected things today. Basic, but VERY true things:
- One person’s initiative & generosity can have an immediate effect on someone else’s day.
- The giver & observer often receive more joy than the receiver.
- Living vicariously through someone else’s experience can be such a blast!
Therefore I’m asking myself some new questions today:
- Where can I express spontaneous generosity that makes someone’s day?
- How often do I pause to observe someone experiencing a highlight in their life?
- If this doesn’t move me, am I missing out on a level joy & happiness that is available to us all? (like low hanging fruit)